History of Troop 746
Boy Scout Troop 746 was initially chartered in September 1952 and has been sponsored continuously by St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church. The first Scoutmaster was John Poedel. The first Committee Chairman was Paul Raphel, Sr. and Jack Klein was the first Secretary-Treasurer. Other original committee members were Pete Kraus and Bill Christ.
The first Eagle Scout from our Troop was Paul Raphel, Jr. and there have been over 90 additional Eagle Scouts in the 60+ year history of the Troop. We have had sixteen Scoutmasters over that time frame. Of these, the man who served the longest was Arthur (Art) Williamson who retired in 2000 after twenty-four years of service to the Troop. Art also served as an Explorer Scout Advisor to an Explorer Post that was previously attached to St. Joseph Church.
Over the years, the Troop has gone on many weekend camping trips and summer camps. Some of these trips included; canoeing the Potomac and Pocomoke Rivers, biking on the C&O Canal and trails on Maryland’s famous Eastern Shore, hiking the Appalachian Trail in various states, visiting many historic cities and battlefields, fishing trips out of Crisfield, and yearly Camporees. The Troop has attended summer camp at Rodney, Broad Creek, and Henson in Maryland, Treasure Island, Horseshoe, Hidden Valley, and Resica Falls in Pennsylvania, Ottair and Powhatan in Virginia, Buffalo Bill in Wyoming, Raymond in Arizona, and Bear Lake in Utah. Recently, the Troop also visited Camp Meriwether in Oregon.
Every three years the Troop sends a contingent of scouts and leaders to Philmont Scout Reservation in Cimarron, New Mexico and/or to the National High Adventure Sea Base in Florida where they participate in high adventure activities. In addition to the high adventure trips, the Troop also takes long range trips, such as touring Utah and Wyoming and visiting Yellowstone National Park, the Grand Tetons, and the Grand Canyon.
Many of these trips are funded by our primary fundraiser- the Citrus Sale. The Troop currently has 4 orange and grapefruit drives between November and February.
We would like to thank St. Joseph Parish for sponsoring the Troop since 1952.